Activity Forums Furnitology Woodworking Forum Minor issue on a sword display case

• Minor issue on a sword display case

Posted by jarg35 on November 5, 2023 at 10:56 pm

Hello, I have a sword display case that my uncle made me some time ago and I would like to mount it on the wall. The problem is that there is just a very narrow strip of solid wood around the outside of the back of the case. He had screwed small for lack of a better term figure eight tabs on the top in back into that strip of solid wood. Except one of them split out and the other screw hole was just barely in the wood so both the tabs and the screws have fallen out while I had it setting on a desk. Just going by feel and a little bit of guessing the back he put on it may be somewhere around 3/8” thick possibly. Anyway, I’m hoping I can get some suggestions on how I might be able to securely mount it to the wall or securely mount a couple of fasteners to the case in order to mount it to the wall. I’m just a little hesitant to try to screw into that thin strip on the back of the case. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you

thoworth replied 6 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • thoworth

November 7, 2023 at 2:35 am

I would probably do a French cleat. The cleat could be glued and nailed all the way along the top edge which would provide more support. This will result in the case standing out from the wall by the thickness of the cleat, so I would install another piece of wood along the bottom as well.