Activity Forums Furnitology Woodworking Forum Issues with Stanley Plough Plane

• Issues with Stanley Plough Plane

Posted by GizmoDuck on October 14, 2023 at 3:42 pm

Hi, all.

Can anyone give me a hand, please? I’ve gotten myself a Stanley Plough plane and everything looked good; it had all its parts and its cutters.

I sharpened up the 4 mil cutter and tested it on a scrap beam, and it cut fine. Then I moved on to my work piece, and nothing. The plane barely cut, even if I extended the cutting iron, nothing. It got to the point where the iron was too deep and stuck fast. So I retracted it and tried again, and nothing.

Without adjusting the plane I moved over to my scrap wood and it cut fine. What is happening, what am I doing?

BluebillWorkshop replied 3 months, 3 weeks ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • mkrol

October 15, 2023 at 2:26 pm

I always think “is it _really_ sharp enough?” And “is the angle correct” for the flavor of wood.

• thoworth

October 16, 2023 at 4:40 am

What type of wood is your project piece? Are you going with or against the grain? That can make a huge difference.

• GizmoDuck

October 16, 2023 at 5:09 am

Hiya. It’s bog-standard pine. With the grain. No idea what’s happening.

• GizmoDuck

November 2, 2023 at 3:14 am

So this entire app/forum is dead already, then?

• phox22

December 18, 2023 at 3:25 am

I have a Stanley 45 and was excited to use it but like you I had trouble with hardwood. I also went out and bought a record 44. But with either of them they just didn’t work very well on hardwood. Sometimes, they both worked great and I went on building, but most of the time they tore out or skipped or did more damage than they were worth. I think they require a lot of practice and there is a skill to it. And the grain has to be perfect. They DO both work very well on softwood species , but on hardwood I end up grabbing my router or table saw for grooves. for now they are basically decoration until I can get more practice .

• BluebillWorkshop

January 3, 2024 at 8:36 pm

Are you starting your cut on the off end of the groove you’re trying to cut? Holding the fence too tight against the stock? You may be raising the blade by pushing the fence too much down and not enough laterally