Activity Forums Furnitology Woodworking Forum Garage/Small Shop Setup

• acarter

December 12, 2021 at 4:52 pm

Beer fridge is a must.

• Furnitology

Administrator
    December 23, 2021 at 9:58 am

@rawts Here’s the forum for small shop discussion. I look forward to chatting with you.

• thoworth

December 23, 2021 at 3:41 pm

I currently have the same setup with 1-1/4 of the bays being my shop. I have all of my large power tools on mobile bases (I found the HTC to work the best), and I use the Rockler Dust Rite system to connect my DC to whatever tool I’m using. It’s not ideal, but it works well. I also use hanging racks from the ceiling for storage.

• LamensTermsWoodworks

December 23, 2021 at 4:01 pm

For me the toughest part is storage. We have household storage, and then all my shop storage needs. They are always competing with each other. I think I have a plan to build out a bunch of shelves that should be a big help. Don’t even get me started on kids bikes!

Mobile bases are key, and I’ve also found flip top carts to be super efficient.

I’ll have to check out the Rockler Dust Rite.

• thoworth

January 8, 2022 at 8:05 am

Yup. I installed prebuilt cabinets (Gladiator) in the non-shop garage stalls to hold paint, finishes, car wash stuff, etc. I also installed hanging storage racks above the garage door in my shop, but i found those to be impractical unless it’s something I just want to store forever.

My biggest change came when I extended our unattached garden shed by 10 feet. I used that new space for just wood storage. That freed up an amazing amount of room.

• TLSOF_ww

January 24, 2022 at 10:14 am

Lol, my 2 car has my daughters 2 apartments worth of crap in it.. damn COVID! Lol I roll everything out into the driveway, except my lathe. Let the dust fall where it may! Hahahaaa

• Furnitology

Administrator
    January 4, 2022 at 11:52 am

@Rawts In this week’s YouTube Roundup there is a video on dust collection for small shops. It might be helpful as you continue to build your shop out.

Here’s a link to the post.

• Squirrely_Dragon_Designs

January 7, 2022 at 8:05 am

Hey thanks, I recently picked up a thickness planer, and my need for efficient dust collection has just skyrocketed!

• Furnitology

Administrator
        January 7, 2022 at 8:07 am

Ha! Yup, a planer will definitely throw some chips. Good luck with the planer. Let us know what you’re working on.

• Furnitology

Administrator
    January 13, 2022 at 9:59 am

@taoistbear Here the Garage Shop Setup forum.

We look forward to seeing your shop buildout.

• Furnitology

Administrator
    January 13, 2022 at 1:27 pm

@jfarris95 As you build out your basement shop this forum might be helpful.

I’m about to rebuild my garage shop as well, so will be sharing more.

• jfarris95

January 13, 2022 at 1:31 pm

Awesome! Thank you!

• Furnitology

Administrator
    January 25, 2022 at 8:17 am

@pgoetz0428 I wanted to invite you to this forum. I’d love to hear about you experience, tips, and tricks building your shop. I’m right behind as I reorganize my garage shop, so I’ll have some questions on setup, flow, tool wall, etc.

• Furnitology

Administrator
    January 26, 2022 at 1:24 pm

@mhbcbish Welcome to the forum. We’re just getting conversation started, so you haven’t missed much.